Microsoft Power BI for Beginners
Learn to turn data into insight with Power BI
Power BI is the powerful, Business Intelligence (BI) tool from Microsoft. Power BI is perfect for people with a limited technical background as it allows you to perform complex analysis in just a few clicks.
In this Power BI course, we start by looking at Power Query, and how to use this tool to organize and clean our data. If you’ve used Power Query in Excel, then you’ll find it simple moving to Power BI. We then show you how to build a Data Model and relate separate tables - this allows us to start to combine huge amounts of data. After that, we teach you all about the powerful data analysis language DAX. Finally, we look at how to present this data using the huge number of charts and graphs available.
Power BI allows anyone to create beautiful looking charts and graphs that generate business insight and fuels decision making.
In this course you will learn:
- What is Power BI and why you should be using it.
- To import CSV and Excel files into Power BI Desktop.
- How to use Merge Queries to fetch data from other queries.
- How to prevent some queries from loading to the model.
- How to create relationships between the different tables of the data model.
- To create a dynamic list of dates using DAX.
- All about DAX including using the COUTROWS, CALCULATE, and SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR functions.
- All about using the card visual to create summary information.
- How to use other visuals such as clustered column charts, maps, and trend graphs.
- How to use Slicers to filter your reports.
- How to use the Matrix visualization.
- How to use themes to format your reports quickly and consistently.
- About using Conditional Formatting to highlight key information.
- How to edit the interactions between your visualizations and filter at visualization, page, and report level.
- How to drill down from one report to another in Power BI.
- This is a video-led course. You can preview some videos below.
- This course includes practice exercises.
- This course is aimed at PC users.
Course Certificate Included
This course includes an optional online quiz that will generate a course certificate upon completion.
We offer an unconditional, 30-day, full money-back guarantee, no questions asked. This is our way of ensuring you have complete confidence in your Stream Skill purchase. If you don’t learn, you don’t pay.
Why Trust Us?
Stream Skill is part of the Simon Sez IT family and has been in business 10+ years and taught over 500,000 students in that time. We’ve created over 100 software training courses, 5,000+ video tutorials, and we’ve helped thousands of people across the world learn how to use Microsoft Office. We’ve now created Microsoft Excel courses for the last five versions and continue to help people get to grips with this essential tool.
The “IT" in Simon Sez IT stands for “Information Technology." We offer instruction to help learners win when it comes to computer and software technology. Learning software skills in an easy, self-paced way for an affordable price is what Simon Sez IT is all about.
The company was founded in 2008 by Chris “Simon" Calder, Director of IT operations for one of Los Angeles' most prestigious institutions. In this role, Simon saw the need for low-stress software training for hundreds of employees in his company who were facing technological upgrades at work. That's how the idea of Simon Sez IT was born.
Since then, Simon Sez IT has built a rapid and loyal following. At a time when many companies were struggling to survive, Simon Sez IT thrived—providing accessible, low-cost computer and software training to people of all ages, regardless of their computer experience. In our first four years alone, we serviced tens of thousands of satisfied customers in over 180 countries.
StartImport Files from a Folder into Power BI Desktop (12:29)
Free PreviewGet Data from Excel and Text Files (7:08)
StartReference Queries to Create Additional Lookup Tables (6:36)
Free PreviewMerge Queries in Power Query (6:57)
StartPrevent Queries from Loading into Power BI Desktop (3:05)
StartPractise Exercise (0:37)
StartCreate Relationships Between tables (6:49)
StartCreate a Dynamic List of Dates (8:53)
StartCreate Additional Date Columns for Analysis (9:13)
StartSort the Month and Weekday Names Correctly (2:47)
StartMark the Table as a Date Table (1:03)
StartHide Unnecessary Fields from Report View (4:59)
StartPractise Exercise (0:32)